Kate, (John),

Places that are inaccessible to people using wheelchairs and scooters...
are usually inaccessible to a much larger population of PWD's with
mobility disabilities who don't use those devices, or any device at all.
So the immediate "consituency" to seek to mobilize, of people directly
blocked from entry (if the barrier is a common one--  one or more
unavoidable steps), is probably several times more people than the
number of  "wheelchair users" affected.

The rhetoric of barrier removel = "wheelchair users" also undercuts
support for barrier removal, by misleading people about how big the need
is.  Further, it can then seem to the general public, in istances of
remedial work being done to buildings, that "we had to spend all this
money, for this minuscule number of people", which ain't at all the true
overall picture, but I have heard such confused perceptions expressed in
public.

In the past 2 weeks I have heard what seemed like about half the cost of
a total building renovation, in effect, "blamed" on "wheelchair users"
(in reality, the cost of accessibility in that project wasn't even 5%).
A week later, in a public hearing, I have heard accessibility features
in an essentially new building, mentioned in a public hearing as if they
were just for "wheelchair users".  This was being said by architects who
were well-meaning, but still were reinforcing public confusion about the
incidence of disability in society.  Fortunately, I got to speak after
them, and mentioned that research has shown that accessibility features
in buildings get used by about 40% of the public, since some of these
features associated with mobility disabilities are also used by
non-disabled people pushing strollers, dragging along luggage, etc.

How to find the "invisible" others excluded from buildings & events by
steps?  I know of no fast way, if you're in a hurry to do a protest.
Better to try to notice & network with such people, all the time... then
you'll meet some...  and like in panning for gold, once in a while, a
small percantage of them may turn out to be that rare precious nugget --
the person willing to drop the standard excuses, and join with ohters
for  a bit of constructive protest.

Re:  The book publication party.... even if  the 'private party" excuses
are sufficient to avoid relocating that party......, the publisher and
the related school Dept. should recognise the discriminatory impact of
that party, and therefor -- take responsibiity for organising ANOTHER
event, of some type (with equal networking opportunities) to launch the
book, and put that otner event in an accessible place.

And point out that it's accessible, in the public notices or
invitations.