Moya Kneafsey wrote:

> The moderators feel that  "enabling communication" should include
> avoiding undue offence, listening and participating in the debates.

While waiting for the list owners to be more specific, I recommend this paper

Blood sacrifice and the Nation: revisiting civil religion
http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/fcm/jaar.htm

and especially this passage:

"...Carlton Hayes... argued that Western nationalism adapted many features of
Christianity, in the shadow of which it first appeared. Citizens are born into
the nation-state, Hayes observed, just as supplicants once were born into the
Church. They have no choice but to be citizens, just as medieval Christians
were compelled to embrace the faith of their birth. The social geographer
Wilbur Zelinsky observes that the contemporary American flag has a visual
power and presence for its believers that is comparable to the medieval
crucifix. We agree. The flag in high patriotic ritual is treated with an awe and
deference that marks it as the sacred object of the religion of patriotism.
The flag is the skin of the totem ancestor held high. It represents the
sacrificed bodies of its devotees just as the cross, the sacred object of
Christianity, represents the body sacrificed to a Christian god.

The soldier carries his flag into battle as a sign of his willingness to die,
just as Jesus carried his cross to show his willingness to die. Both the cross
and the flag mark the border, the transformative point at which the believer
crosses over into death. In both Christianity and nationalism the violently
sacrificed body becomes the god renewed--in Durkheimian terms, the transformed
totem. In Christianity the revivified totem is the risen Christ. In American
nationalism the transformed totem is the soldier resurrected in the raised
flag. On the basis of his sacrifice the nation is rejuvenated. As the
embodiment of sacrifice, the flag has transforming power. Certain acts cannot
be performed except in its presence. It must be kept whole and perfect, as
holy things are, and ceremonially disposed of when it is no longer fit to
perform the functions of the totem object."

--
Paul Treanor