I totally agree w/ Raju's concern about the cost of attending the
meetings, though I believe there is a discounted rate for students (I
don't have my newsletter in front of me to check on that and it's been
a time since I was a student!). Furthermore, I note in the most recent
AAG newsletter that the AAG is planning to increase the fee still
further because of the cost of renting projectors etc so that people
may use powerpoint in presentations.  I suggest that we should ask the
AAG to reconsider this.  For what it costs to rent the equipment from
various hotels the AAG could probably buy the projectors needed.
Alternatively, people can just as easily have their powerpoint
presentations made into slides and use a good old fashioned slide
projector at no cost.  Why does the participation fee need to be raised
even further so that powerpoint can be accommodated?  Call me an old
luddite (I can hear the cries already!), but does every new piece of
technology need to be slavishly adopted?

I'd be interested in people's feelings on this.

Andy Herod

On Fri, 19 May 2000 10:42:04 GMT Raju Das <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> The AAG Annual Meetings participation fee seems to put many potential
> participants off. The fee is too high for the lower-income groups in
> the US and other rich countries and for those in the less developed
> world. These are the people who are less likely to be AAG members and
> are therefore have to pay a much higher fee than them. Please note
> that non-members have to pay $235 and members pay $155. Isn't there
> anyway fees for participants from the lower-income-groups in advanced
> countries (e.g. students) and for those from less developed countries
> be reduced? Greater attendance from less developed countries might
> improve the quality of the AAG meetings.
>
> Geography matters!
>
> Raju
> Raju J Das
> Department of Geography
> University of Dundee
> Dundee DD1 4HN
> United Kingdom
> Phone 01382 348073 work
>       01382 738872 home

_____________________
Dr. Andrew Herod
Associate Professor
Department of Geography
204 GGS Building
University of Georgia
Athens, GA 30602, USA

Tel: 706 542 2856
Fax: 706 542 2388
Email: [log in to unmask]

When I give food to the poor, they call me a Saint.
When I ask why the poor have no food, they
call me a Communist.

Dom Helder Camara

"Con el coyote no hay aduana"