In something I was looking at the other day about the state of theory in European archaeology, the German author claimed that there were only a few countries where the so-called culture-history approach characteristic of continental archaeology as a whole has been replaced by more "theoretically reflective" approaches. The three areas named were Great Britain, Scandinavia and the Netherlands. I have no problems with the first two, but cannot at the moment recall finding anything much in the literature to hand concerning the development and nature of archaeological theory in the Netherlands. I would be grateful for any pointers to any relatively recent general/synthetic articles on this subject known to members of the ArchTheory list.

Paul Barford