Well of course Florin you are quite right about the title of the book, which
I actually had in front of me as I wrote ( the name would be the label of
the shelf at home from which I pulled it in haste to do so). Mea culpa.

The problem of the relationship between the Przeworsk culture and the
*ProtoSlavs was however not raised by Soviet archaeologists (still less
Rusanova) but by Polish ones, with the pre-War (pre 1939) work of the Poznan
school, particularly associated with Jozef Kostrzewski, Konrad Jazdzewski
and later developed by Witold Hensel and their many followers (the
relationship between these works and Rusanova is an interesting one and
worth looking at in anopther context). Gimbutas' presentation of the
relationship with the Chernyakhov culture package rather stems from the
geographical position of the latter and the evidence Gimbutas derived from
the extremely limited and vague written sources as to where the *Protoslavs
originated and where some of them appear in history as the Antes.

Thanks for the information about the essay by Liliana Janik and Hanna
Zawadzka on gender politics in Polish archaeology which I will have to
search out as I did not know of it, I am sure it will be interesting to cite
it in Poland and see the reaction. If the authors are out there, I'd be
grateful if they would get in touch...

Paul Barford