I have used this argument for some years as it makes perfect economic
sense. What percentage of patients attending can an SHO see? 100. What
percentage of patients attending can an ENP see? Well, it all depends how
brave they are feeling. However, there are plenty that they should not be
seeing. A G grade gets around £20k and will give you 37.5 hours, not all
of which is spent seeing patients. An SHO will earn around £25k, and for
that you get up to 56 hours of seeing patients, and all and every patient.
The fiscal argument is irrefutable and Lawrence's figures are about right.
For that £60k we could all have three SHOs or two staff grades. Well, it
would have to be staff grades in fact; the Deans won't let us have any
more SHOs.

Best wishes,

Rowley Cottingham