After a recent course and chatting to a US paramedic trainer, it became
apparent that many US paramedics/ EMT-P are trained to a higher level than
UK BASICS docs.

RSI is taught to senior paramedics (2 years post qualification experience)
in a 2 day course.

Drugs of choice - diazepam and sux in Oregon at least

Indications - this surprised me, apart from HI they have no problem in
zapping severe respiratory distress where patient becoming exhausted, severe
pulmonary oedema, and even aggressive psychiatric patients!

As a result a paramedic crew would expect about one RSI per month or two.

Anecdotal I know, but why the shrowds of mystery in the UK where even RSI in
A&E is jealously guarded?

No need to repeat v.helpful debate earlier about training, but would be
interested if we could use the american experience as a catalyst to further
training in UK. Thoughts?

Jeremy (GP/ BASICS)