I don't think anyone would argue that G grade nurses are a valuable
asset in A&E, I still remain guided by them when needed, and always
will be. Many have skills which I am unlikely to be able to better
However despite having far more experience of acute
medicine and surgery, including 'tendon repairs' than Mark Dawes, I tend
to involve nursing staff in cardiac arrests and many other conditions
because I always felt that A&E was a team effort, which involved members
of the team all contributing their individual skills.  It is surely
foolhardy not to involve senior medical staff in the management of
critically ill patients.  Many Sprs entering A&E have a lot of
experience in areas allied to A&E such as anaesthesia, general medicine,
orthopaedics and ICU and have far more skill than Mark Dawes gives
credit for.It would appear that this experience can now
be picked up instantly by attending a theoretical module at your local
seat of learning, thereby offering the scope for instant solo practice!

yours not so humbly

Francis Andrews FFAEM (+ others)
lecturer in Intensive Care Medicine/hon Spr in A&E and ICU
liverpool