-----Original Message-----
From: Paul V <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Wednesday, April 19, 2000 11:05 AM

This year for my English class I have been researching Rudyard Kipling.  Part of the research includes interviewing an expert on Kipling.  I have a list of questions I would greatly appreciate answered.
1. How would you define Kipling's imperialism?  To what extent do you feel he was an imperialist and to what extent do you think he used it merely as a symbol?
2.What would you say are the various stages in Kipling's writing?
3.What are his major themes?
4.To what extent do you think Kipling's experiences in the House of Desolation affected his writing?  How?
5.What would you say is his worst work?  Why?
6.What would you say is his best work?  Why?
7.How would you explain Kipling's characterization?  Would you say he uses certain types, repeated characters, or characters that represent himself or other people in his own life?
8.How do you think Kipling fits into the flow of British literature?  Does he build on the work of others?  Is he in a particular school?  Does he provide a foundation for coming generations. is he an inventor of new genres? (effect if any of the Burne-Jones)
9.How would you explain his fascination with the supernatural?
11.What form of writing do you think Kipling succeeds best at?  Why?
12.How do you think Kipling uses setting in his stories?