> Sally, I think the anti-psychiatry movement (Szaz, Laing & co) would tell
> you that schizophrenia is a catch-all bucket for a whole list of
> "disorders", and that they may not in fact be disorders at all. Currently,
> schizophrenias are classified as paranoid, disorganised, catatonic,
> undifferentiated and residual; "negative" and "positive" refer to symptoms
> associated with various of these types.

Thanks for that!
Just one last thing: can the positive and negative symptoms occur at the
same time?

It's all very confusing this; I've just read about Crow's Two Syndrome
Hypothesis (Type I Schizophrenia characterised by pos symptoms, Type II by
neg) and then read elsewhere that both sets of symptoms occur in the one
disease Schizophrenia. Is there any common consensus on this?!

Once again, thanks for helping me out

Love, Sally