From: Panos Barlas <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 06 April 2000 17:45
Subject: Pre Manipulative Neck Testing

Dear all,

it is with interest that I followed all the discussions on the past
week or so on Pilates, the role of physiotherapist as a reflective
practitioner and now with reference to pre-manipulative cervical
spine testing.
Coincidentally, my colleague and I are in the process of finalising a
paper (preliminary results have been already communicated on this:
Forrester, GA, Barlas P (1999) Reliability and validity of the
Sharp-Purser Test in the assessment of atlanto-axial instability in
patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Physiotherapy, 85 (7), pp. 376)
which refers to the accuracy of physiotherapists in diagnosing
Atlantoaxial instability on rheumatoid pain patients.
The results of this investigation are summarised below (straight from
the results section of the paper in question)

Table 4: Overall inter-therapist reliability

Overall Kappa Value Ko             = 0.20
Standard Error                             = 0.05
95% Confidence Interval            = 0.09 to 0.30
Z score                                           = 3.72
                                    (significant at 0.0002 level)

(Overall)
Sensitivity Specificity PPV NPV
  0.43 0.77 0.34 0.89

Now, on the basis of these results, I would not like my neck to be in
the line (literaly!).
Althought the argument may be that these results may not be a true
reflection of the clinical reality [we used 6 MACP therapists with >3
years experience on 31 patients with an AAI incidence of 16% (5/31)],
it is my belief that this should raise significant questions as to
our beliefs of the results such tests as the Sharp-purser that was
tested here yield. Has anyone out there have any data of Sensitivity
and Specificity, PPV and NPV for any other tests (eg. Lachman, ULTT1
etc)? I have tried to locate some but my efforts were fruitless.

The main question I am trying to raise is this:
How comfortable are we as therapists with our current knowledge of
the usefulness of the tools that we use daily? If the study above is
the tip of the iceberg (and by no means I think that we broke new
heights of research here) how can we trust that what we do is right
for our patients in the first instance, but from a professional
ethics point of view also?

I am not aware of the MACP guidelines on premanipulative cervical
spine screening. I am aware however that the Sharp Purser test is one
of the most commonly used for that purpose. So, the question to be
asked is:
On what basis are any guidelines produced? How much are we to believe
them?

I hope my comments are seen in their true light, which is one of
exploration and not as personal attacks.

Looking forward to your contributions,

yours,

Panos