Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 22:43:54 -0700
From: kwildgen <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Interim Saints - April 28th

Joan removed her "male" attire under the impression that she would be
placed in a church, rather than civil, prison. When that didn't happen
(and she was PERHAPS raped), she abjured her "confession" and resumed
soldier's attire. Whereupon she was executed as a witch and a heretic.
The accusation hurled at her that angered her the most was that she was
a whore, a camp follower. Her virginity was of extreme importance to
her. Remember also the prophecy that France would be brought low by a
whore (Isabeau de Bavière, in this instance) and saved by a virgin.
The A&E bio of Joan is very well done - I recommend it.
Kathryn