Dear Sophie,

According to my book "Relics" by Joan Carroll Cruz, c. 1984 (an EXCELLENT
book), it says: (verbatim, I scanned it in)

A CLOTH believed to have served as the Baby Jesus' swaddling gar­ment is
kept in a unique reliquary in the shrine that Charlemagne built called Aix
La Chapelle in Aachen, Germany.
The city of Aachen was made the capital of the empire by Charlemagne and it
remained the capital of the Holy Roman Empire un­til the middle of the 16th
century. Thirty-seven German emperors were crowned there. When Charlemagne
built the cathedral, he took pride in securing for it many important relics
from the Holy Land and Rome. One of the most valued o£ these was the cloth
believed to have been worn by the Infant Jesus.
The golden reliquary, whose hollow encloses the relic, depicts the
Presentation in the Temple. Called the Reliquary Shrine for the Arm of St.
Simeon, the shrine was built to house the bone of the saint, but ac­tually
enshrines the Holy Cloth. On one side of the small short-legged, gem-studded
table is a golden figure of the Blessed Mother with her out­stretched hands
holding the two doves of the temple offering. On the opposite end is the
golden figure of Simeon with his outstretched arms holding a figure of the
Infant Jesus.
The relics in the cathedral are carefully guarded and were seldom ex­posed
to public veneration before the 14th century. Since then they have been
shown on an average of once every seven years, when great pil­grimages flock
to Aachen to venerate them.

Hope it helps,

Wendy Reardon