Dear Frans and fellow list members,

Despite how I must appear to some, I am not at all opposed to occasional
bon-mots and levity, such as you have provided. I try to limit my 'list
police' activity to the barest minimum, in order to ensure that (among other
things):

ALWAYS:
- we are scholarly
- we are polite and sensitive to all other list members
- we are generous with our knowledge
- we explain the background to any queries we pose to the list
- we are non-confessional in the content of our messages
- we write clearly (do not forget that many of our esteemed members do not
have English as a mother tongue, and simply may not understand poorly
written prose, or messages relying on linguistic jokes [puns], English
poetic forms or excessive irony)
- we deal exclusively with the Middle Ages (broadly conceived from late
antiquity to the beginning of the Industrial Revolution), except when
contemporary practice or events directly illuminate our understanding of
medieval culture

If from time to time we break the tedium of 'being scholarly' by sharing
'something good', that's great. The only time I get concerned is when too
much attention and too many messages are directed away from the list's
raison d'etre.

Some day, I'll write a little libellus electronicus on all this. Until then,

Best wishes,
George

PS: Frans -- what is it like being one of the very few medievalists on the
face of this planet who can live at home while attending sessions at
Kalamazoo?