Hello to you!

> I don't have a map at hand. Is that the area, where
those tiny anthracite coal  mines are still in
operation? (e.g. Schuylkill County) I have been there
in 1992 and would be interested to know something
about the current state (any works still operating?)
---
The coal I am talking about is on the other side of
the state, bitum country.  Lots of them still
running--my father says no worries about it running
out for at least two centuries.  Just gotta go deeper.
 So yes, still many operating.  Not so sure about the
eastern side of the state, but I know a few have
become museums.  Eckley Miners Village is supposed to
be a good one.

> I have been told, that Bethlehem closed down a few
years ago and that it is planned to preserve it as a
museum. Do you have information about the current
state?
----
AH! Great one!  Yes that is the plan.  While I was an
intern at the Museum commission in PA, I took a tour
of it.  I went through the old main offices and saw
the supervisors lounge and compared it against the
regular folks lounge.  Toured through one of the
buildings, it was the oldest on the property (1860ish)
and then saw some of the big buildings where they kept
the stuff. They still have STACKS of original forms.
Very cool.  And yes the plan is to turn it into a
branch of the Smithsonian, this one focusing on
industry.  They also plan on turning it into a hotel
(the offices), a park, and have shops and the like.
Quite a fantastic plan!  They are now hiring for
curators and education persons for the place.  It
looks promising!

Aaron

P.S.  Shall I assume a Mac user?  I sit at work and
dream of my Mac at home.  Thats a mac addict.
> Windoze can be used on the North-Pole without any
problems, ... because a frozen computer can't freeze

=====
Aaron Marcavitch-- [log in to unmask]
Webmaster/Program Assistant
Historic Massachusetts