Hello to you all,

I have just joined this list, as well as the SIA (and
SIA Southern New England).  I wanted to introduce
myself and I hope that to see some great discussions
here!

I am the webmaster/program assistant at Historic
Massachusetts, the state-wide, non-profit preservation
organization.  I am also a private consultant for web
design (so if anyone needs help in that area let me
know!).  I graduated in the spring of 1999 from Roger
Williams University with a degree in Historic
Preservation and a concentration in Planning (minors
in American Studies & History).  I have a special
interest in rural preservation, smart growth, as well
as industrial and commericial archaeology.  My senior
thesis was on recreational history in Rhode Island.
This fall I may (?) be entering Middle Tennessee State
University for a degree in Public History.

My specific interests in IA is related to coal mining
(which my father still is part of, as a safety
director) especially as it relates to my home in
Southwestern PA.  I am also intersted in railroads
(especially narrow gauge) and railroad structures.  I
am also interested in the socialology of work and
recreation (this includes taking part in recreation
but also the workers that are involved in amusment
parks and the like, as well as the machines that are
involved in this work, i.e. the gearing mechanisms for
roller coasters).  I am also interested in some steel
manufacturing (which my grandfather worked in) and
lumber industry (which my girlfriends father works in.
 Also of some interest are the industries that have
women connected to them or have some research into the
work of women in industry (Lowell factories, etc.)
because of a new interest in women's studies.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing
about some of the topics!

Aaron Marcavitch

=====
Aaron Marcavitch-- [log in to unmask]