Edawrd

Your naivety astounds me

First, how will "consumers" now which trips to a doctro to ration - your
assumption is that pateint currently go to the doctors when they probably
suspect there is no reason to - you ignore there are costs to consultations
other than fees.

Secondly, you suggest that the elderly can shop around for medicines at
prices they can afford.  This is simply undesirable. I truly hope that when
you are elderly you would not have to be hamstrung with such a task.

The presnt system does not rely on the assumption that pateitns are stupid -
rather that there is assymetric information between purchasers (patients)
and providers (physicians and health plans). Try reading the excellent text
by Thomas Rice  for an underestanding of the health care market  Also when
considering the present system - expand yourr thoughts to other countries
other than the USA when health care systems are successful with coverage for
all citizens .

Dogu

Doug Coyle
Senior Principal Investigator