You should be aware of the Fryback and Thornbury hierarchy of diagnostic
efficacy (Fryback, DG and Thornbury, JR, The efficacy of diagnostic imaging,
Med Decis Making 1991, 11:88-94).  Interestingly, the typical
sensitivity/specificity or PPV/NPV studies are at a very low level in this
hierarchy.  Above these come the ability of the test to change diagnostic
thinking, the ability to change therapeutic practice, patient efficacy
(ability to improve disease measures and/or quality of life measures), and
the top level is cost-benefit studies from the societal perspective.  This
top level is important because essentially all diagnostic test issues
devolve into cost-effectiveness questions.

David L. Doggett, Ph.D.
Senior Medical Research Analyst
Technology Assessment Group
ECRI, a non-profit health services research organization
5200 Butler Pike
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462-1298, USA
Phone: +1 (610) 825-6000 ext.5509
Fax: +1(610) 834-1275