Robyn,

I'm pretty sure that any report produced by a working group set up by SCAN,
or by one of its seven sister committees, is not a matter of public record
until it has been adopted by the committee to which the working group
reports.  The Scientific Committees themselves have a legislative basis
(Commission Decision 97/579/EC) and their agendas, minutes and opinions are
published on the DG SANCO web site.  Each committee may create ad hoc
working parties of independent experts to deal with specific questions that
arise, but they are regarded as part of the internal procedures of the
committee.

The role of a working group is to examine scientific evidence and to assist
its parent committee in reaching an opinion on a particular issue. It is the
committee itself which takes responsibility for the final report, and the
contribution of the working group is reflected in the opinion adopted by the
committee.

I believe that issues of confidentiality and protection of independent
expression of scientific opinion may also be involved in the practice of not
publishing the papers of the working groups.

Of course, applications to see the documents can always be made under the
usual transparency procedures, but I don't know whether they would be likely
to succeed.

Best regards,

Chris

>From: "R.Allen" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Standing committee for animal nutrition
>Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 14:18:28 +0100 (BST)
>
>Dear all
>
>Does anybody know if there is open access to reports of
>working groups who feed into the Standing Commmittee for
>Animal Nutrition and, if so, how copies can be obtained?
>
>I am away on holiday next week, so there is no urgency
>about this one, but I would greatly appreciate any help.
>
>Kind regards
>
>Robyn Allen
>Information Assistant
>Euro Info Centre Humberside