But does creatine enhance performance? I have attached a Q and A devised by myself and Richard Budgett at the British Olympic Association and published in a recent edition of Regatta magazine.

Robert

-----Original Message-----
From: Dr James Brown <[log in to unmask]>

>Peer pressure does exist and young athletes will try what thier peers are
>taking Creatine is a good example.

Question: Now that I compete at a serious level I've been considering food supplements, and taking a close look at creatine. Isn't that beneficial in rowing, because I've heard some members of the national squad use it?

Answer (Richard Budgett): Creatine is a chemical which occurs in muscle and which is converted into the high-energy store creatine phosphate during the first second or two of work. It has been shown that increased stores of creatine phosphate can lead to less muscle fatigue and better performance. Taking supplements will augment these stores but the difference will only be noticeable in repetitive sprint events which last a few seconds, with a very short time between repetitions. Sports where this can make a difference include power athletics, such as sprints, but it doesn't include rowing or, for instance, football. There are also side effects of taking it, such as muscle cramps and fluid retention. There are no regulations governing its use, and it's true that members of the squad have used creatine; one reason may be that oarsmen may find they can lift heavier weights during a circuit and make the incorrect assumption that they will be able to row faster as a result.

(c) Regatta Magazine 1999