Babeth Lefur wrote:

> Birrell,
>
> Please tell me more about atlas/ti. I have been hesitating between NVivo,
> NU*dist and Atlas/ti. I am going for the latter for the following reasons:
> flexibility, creativity, visual, non-linnear. I am just beginning to work
> with it, so how is it for an experienced user?
>
> Babeth Lefur
> Effectivness Initiative
> Bernard van Leer Foundation

Speaking only briefly, because I am about to go out of town:

I had the opportunity to review Atlas vs NUD*IST for an article I
wrote.  I have not seen NVivo in action.  Based on my trials for the
review, I chose Atlas when it came time to do my own dissertation, just
because it combined "flexibility, creativity, visual, non-linear"
features with a very rigorous infrastructure.  I could build network
diagrams of highly abstract ideas and create my own relationships in
those networks, but every idea in those networks was grounded directly
or indirectly in quotes from my text.  So if I wanted to justify an
abstract idea, I could just ask Atlas to gather the quotes for it, and
it would work its way down the ladder of abstraction and give them to
me.

I found Atlas much more flexible in its coding than NUD*IST. I was able
to code with just a quick swipe of the mouse and a click on the sort of
coding I wanted to use. It also had a very excellent search facility
built in (as does NUD*IST).

The Atlas.ti email list is helpful and quick to respond, serving as an
informal but very effective support department.  Thomas Muhr (creator of
Atlas) takes part in it as well, with humor and skill.  Software
updates, called service packs, are free and frequent; they offer
significant improvments between releases of the major revisions.

Atlas can be used to code graphics, audio and video, though I did not
use those features and do not know much about them.  But the features I
did use served me well in analyzing eight hundred pages of data.

Hope this is useful,

Birrell Walsh
MicroTimes