  From: Michael Warburton
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Friday, March 17, 2000 9:20 PM
  Subject: Re: taping for plantar fasciitis

  Dear all,
  ... and another angle on the plantar fasciitis debate!
  Lets not forget that there is a low incidence of plantar fasciitis in barefoot populations. This is considered to be the result of ground impact forces being transferred (or shared) to the yielding musculature of the foot thus sparing the unyielding dense plantar fascia from the full burden and excessive strain at its attachment. Sounds plausible, however not always practical to institute a barefoot diet on our PF clients, especially if painful and acute. However it is worth considering greater barefoot encouragement in general for the array of physical, psychological and financial benefits it can give. Choose surfaces carefully though and be aware of safety considerations: ie. foreign objects and climatic extremes (i've seen experienced and adapted bare feet blister after only a few minutes standing on artificial surfaces here in Queensland!).
  Regards,
  Michael.