I think you must of mis understood my reply Chris.
I would agree with you re.rehab hamstrings and the time element, usually their back playing 6-8 weeks, if not sooner. What i wished to put forward was that if the player was experiencing symptoms whilst carrying out fast paced running at 5 weeks i would be confident in labelling it adaptive "useful" pain (pain i would say is strill protective in nature).
Secondary hyperalgesia could well be a possible cause of this footballers pain. Acknowledging this could well diffuse what could be a frustrating time.
>>> "Barrett, Chris" <[log in to unmask]> 03/16/00 11:48PM >>>
Paul

I have to disagree with you regarding your comments about how long a
hamstring should take to be rehabilitated. I too work for a professional
sporting club and I don't think our coach would be happy to hear that a
hamstring injury can take 12 weeks to get back to playing! Seriously I think
that as long as the physical tests are satisfactory and the player has got
through full training on at least one occasion then they can play. I guess
if in doubt, then the old "give it one more week" may be applicable.
Occasionally we get caught out a player has retear but not often compared to
those we get back as quickly as possible. In this case it all comes down to
the diagnosis of the proximal stiffness, if it is not relevant or likely to
cause problems then I think he should play. I thought he may have proximal
hamstring tendonitis, and if that is the problem, because it is minor I
would probably encourage them to play as soon as possible.

Regards

Chris Barrett
Perth, WA