Vertebral axial decompression therapy for pain associated with herniated or
degenerated discs or facet syndrome: an outcome study
Gose EE, Naguszewski WK, Naguszewski RK
Neurol Res 1998 Apr; 20 (3): 186-90
ABSTRACT: The outcomes of VAX-D therapy for pts with low back pain from
various causes are reported. Data was collected from 22 medical centers for
pts who received VAX-D therapy for LBP, which was sometimes accompanied by
referred leg pain. Only pts who received at least 10 sessions and had a
diagnosis of herniated disc, degenerative disc, or facet syndrome, which
were confirmed by diagnostic imaging, were included in this study; a total
of 778 cases. The average time between the initial onset of symptoms and the
beginning of this therapy was 40 months, and it was four months or more in
83% of the cases. The data contained the pt's quantitative assessments of
their own pain, mobility, and ability to carry out the usual activities of
daily living. The treatment was successful in 71% of the 778 cases, when
success was defined as a reduction in pain to 0 or 1, on a 0 to 5 scale.
Improvements in mobility and activities of daily living correlated strongly
with pain reduction. The causes of back pain and their relationship to this
therapy are also discussed.
Effects of vertebral axial decompression on intradiscal pressure
Ramos G; Martin W
J Neurosurg
1994 Sep;81(3):350-3
ABSTRACT: The object of this study was to examine the effect of VAX-D on
pressure in the nucleus pulposus of lumbar dics. Intradiscal pressure
measurement was performed by connecting a cannula inserted into the pt's
L4-5 disc space to a pressure transducer. The pt was placed in a prone
position on a VAX-D therapeutic table and the tensionometer on the table was
attached via a pelvic harness. Changes in the intradiscal pressure was
recorded at resting state and while controlled tension was applied by the
equipment to the pelvic harness. Intradiscal pressure demonstrated an
inverse relationship to the tension applied. tension in the upper range was
observed to decompress the nucleus pulposus significantly, to below -100 mm
Hg.

Hello I think this should be of some help
Anuradha B.Sc(P.T.) SRPT