Daryl, I find your clinical success interesting, and your supporting
excerpts enlightening, but can't help thinking that the alteration of
akin to changing the alignment of a tyre on your car to remove pressure
from one worn area, to place pressure on another area, which in turn, in
time, will become worn. The body has a huge ability to compensate for
changes, and your patient's feet will certainly appreciate the change. I
hope, but doubt, that the reduction in pain will be permanent, unless the
frontal plane deformities are addressed. I refer you to a chapter in "the
Biomechanics of the Foot and Ankle", by Bob Donatelli, entitled
"Biomechanical Orthotics", in particular .." supporting the forefoot
abnormalities reduces the need for rearfoot compensation. For example,
forefoot varus is compensated for by rearfoot subtalar joint pronation.
Forefoot varus, by itself, is not destructive to the foot. However, at the
subtalar joint compensatory pronation results in an "unlocking' of the
foot, creating hypermobility and loss of a rigid lever from midstance
through push-off. " Forefoot varus is addressed using a medial wedge on the
forefoot. I have made up to 200 pairs of biomechanical orthotics over the
last nine years, with excellent, although not infallible success at
longterm pain reduction.   Martin
----------
> From: ashlini and daryl <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: taping for plantar fasciitis
> Date: Tuesday, 21 March 2000 07:19
>
> Martin Kidd wrote:
> >It follows that anything that causes excess pronation, such as a
> > lateral forefoot post, would be detrimental to foot stability.
> >   Martin Kidd.
>
> I disagree. The wedging acts on the MTJ, not the STJ and aims to evert
the
> MTJ axis to prevent the dorsiflexion moment caused by XS pronation or
> conversely by inducing a plantarflexory moment. Having now used these in
> clinical situation I find improved results from a treatment perspective
with
> valgus wedging at the forefoot. Following are few things that may help.
>
> *To quote someone far more intelligent than myself:
> Eric Fuller has written,
> "Arch  flattening is caused by a plantar flexion moment on the forefoot
or a
> dorsiflexion moment on the forefoot. So, we need to analyze the foot and
> figure out what structures could cause a plantarflexion moment on the
> forefoot  or a dorsiflexion moment at the rearfoot at the level of the
MTJ.
> (MTJ is an arbitrary divider of forefoot and rearfoot.) Tension in all
the
> slips of the plantar fascia, the plantar  calcaneocuboid ligaments, the
> spring ligament and  a few muscles combined with compression at the joint
> surfaces can prevent
>  dorsiflexion of the forefoot. There is redundancy, that is to say that
the
> load may or may not be shared across all of those structures. For
example,
> the medial slip of the plantar fascia may have 70% of the load and the
> plantar calcaneo cuboid ligament may have 30% of the load in one
situation.
> A forefoot valgus wedge may cause a shift in the load from the medial
slip
> in the plantar fascia to the plantar calcaneo cuboid ligaments. The total
> load remains essentially the same (body weight) but the structures that
> support the load change. Less load in the medial slip of the plantar
fascia
> = less pain.  I believe the 'locking the MTJ' (maximal eversion of the
LMTJ)
> puts more load in the lateral plantar ligaments."
>
> *Kogler GF, Solomonidis SE, Paul JP (1998)The influence of medial and
> lateral  wedges on the loading of the plantar aponeurosis. Proceedings
from
> the IXth  World Congress of the International Society of Prosthetics and
> Orthotics.  Amsterdam: International Society of Prosthetics and
Orthotics.
> "......An in vitro method that simulated "static" stance was used to
> determine the loading characteristics of the plantar aponeurosis. Nine
test
> conditions were evaluated with eight different wedge (6degrees)
> combinations and a level plane serving as the control. Each of the
forefoot
> wedge treatment groups was statistically distinct compared to the neutral
> control, with lateral forefoot wedges decreasing the strain in the
plantar
> aponeurosis and the medial forefoot wedges increasing strain (p<0.05).
The