--- John Wickstrom <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> A Lutheran friend was remarking that they celebrate the feast of the
> Transfiguration on the last Sunday of Epiphany season and made a good
> case
> for that placement in the calendar: that it represents the
> culmination of
> the manifestation of divinity in Christ begun with the Epiphany. That
> made
> me wonder what the reason was for the RC calendar placing it on the
> rather
> unremarkable date of August 6. Anyone know?

The feast originated in the east;  in the west, its general observance
goes back to 1457, when Callistus III ordered its universal celebration
in commemoration of the victory gained over the Turks at Belgrade on
22nd July 1456, news of which reached Rome on 6th August.

We do not, in the Catholic Church, have "Sundays after the Epiphany",
so there would be no chance of observing it on the last one.

Oriens.