Mary appears seated (the 'Throne of Wisdom' image) and feeding a
toddler-sized Jesus on her left breast on a group of Welsh convent seals.
One of the breast-feeding seals comes from the Benedictine women's house at
Usk (Mon). Roberta Gilchrist in Gender and Material Culture notes a few
nunnery seals depicting the standing Virgin and Child but far more with the
Throne of Wisdom, though she does not record how many of the seated figures
are actually breast-feeding. However, Mary is also depicted seated and
feeding her son on the seal of the Tironian men's house at St Dogmael's
(Pembs), a seal so similar to that of Usk that David Williams (in A
Catalogue of Seals in the National Museum of Wales. Cardiff: National
Museum of Wales1993) has suggested the matrix came from the same designer
or engraver. The image on the common seal of the Cistercian men's house at
Tintern is less clear but is very similar to the other two and is probably
of Mary feeding Christ (for a photograph see Williams 1993, 88, though he
suggests on p 46 that she is holding an orb. This may in fact be an
instance of reluctance to recognise what he is seeing).

Back to the Pieta. The only examples I know of the conventional Pieta -
Mary with the body of the dead Christ - have his head to her right.
However, Our Lady of Pity at Long Melford is I think the other way round
(assuming the copy I've seen hasn't been printed back to front). Like a lot
of late medieval devotional imagery this is strangely proleptic. Christ's
body is covered in wounds and his hands and feet are clearly pierced. But
he is smaller than Mary, and is clearly alive. Mary holds him in her arms
with his head on her left shoulder and he looks up at her face and extends
a hand to touch her robe. A very odd image.
(There is a picture in The Stripping of the Altars - where else!)

Maddy

Dr Madeleine Gray
Department of Humanities and Science
UWCN

'Reading is sometimes an ingenious device for avoiding thought'