I suppose my objection to her - which is poorly founded and
half-hearted, really - is that she impresses me as a female version of
Bernard of Clairvaux, whom I also find somewhat repellent. The Oxford
Dictionary of Saints says it well: "Like Bernard, Catherine had
prophetic vision [that's OK] and personal intransigence [that's not];
these led both of them to identify God's cause with their own." Then
there's the grotesque display of her head... And, of course, I firmly
believe, with Jung, that what we find objectionable in others is what we
see of our own shadow in them. Now that really gives me pause......
Best,
(Chastened) Kathryn
p.s. I also deeply resent the dismissal of C. of Alexandria. How someone
revered almost since the beginning can be said not to have existed...