Without entering into lots of detail, the technological shift in early
Christian circles (and some early Jewish ones?) from scroll to small
codices (2nd-3rd century) to mega-codices (4th century onward) such as the
Greek Vaticanus, Sinaiticus, Alexandrinus, etc., is relevant for this
discussion. It raises the question of what "Bible" or "biblical canon"
would mean at a time when it was impossible (practically speaking) to
include all "scriptural" writings in a single literary production ("under
one cover," in codex language). Presumably there were boxes or pouches of
scrolls, and certainly there were lists, but how did those physical
factors affect the understanding of "bible" as an abstraction?

Thanks for the openings and invitations, Oriens; wish there were more time
to pursue the details, fascinating and frustrating as they are!

Bob Kraft