Alison Maloney wrote: " I haven't come across this particular one but the formula is very similar to many charms which people carried ( I know of some in use as late as the early twentieth century)..... ....... Even when they invoke the strangest forms of aid, they almost always end with "In the name of the Father, Son & Holy Spirit/Ghost" & have a cross drawn on them." __________ While only tangential to Alison's remarks (and, of course, to the original prayer to the Virgin in question ), it is interesting to note the conscious parallel structurings and de-structurings (technically, a reverse undoing) not only of charms but of curses in relation to traditional prayer formulae, likewise the emeregence of newer "models" of prayer formularies in relation to popular charms and curses. The material on curses... specifically the history and ongoing development of officially sanctioned ( to some degree or another ) liturgical curses ( the 'clamor' and the 'maledictio' in particular ) is thoroughly presented in Lester K. Little Benedictine Maledictions: Liturgical Cursing in Romanesque France. Ithaca and London: Cornell University Press, 1993. A fascinating read . Josef Gulka Th Josef Gulka [log in to unmask] Tel: 215- 732-8420 Fax (215) 732-8420 %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%