At 06:07 PM 3/29/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Dear Colleagues:
>
>I am working on a paper concerning Matthew Paris and the Parisian monastic
>colleges and need your help in understanding the significance of a certain
>passage. Matthew Paris writes (in Richard Vaughan's translation):
>
>       From the incarnation of the Lord twenty-five half-centuries have
>elapsed. Nor does it seem that         Easter has fallen on its own day,
namely
the
>sixth of the kalends of April [27 March], in any       jubilee year, namely
>the fiftieth, except in this last year.
>
>I am interested in the notion of Easter falling on its own day.

since easter is a moveable feast, it only occasionally falls on Suinday March
27 (and, correspondingly, the annunciation (fixed) and good friday (moveable)
fall on March 25, which is the sixth day of creation, when adam was formed, the
jews crossed the red sea, jesus was incarnated, and was crucified (not
possible), and the battle of armaggedon will take place.

the earliest signs of this apoc tradition show up in the 9th cn, appear sharply
at the turn of the millennium (970, 981, 992, 1056, 1067), and continue to
produce unusual events right up to matthew paris laying down his pen because --
that's all folks.  what matthew seems to be saying here (i think he is, but i
want to be modest in my claims) is that the reason why the end never occurred
in the past on a year when march 27 was the date of easter (about 40 occasions
since the crucifixion), is that it had never before happened in a jubilee
year.  this is good evidence that some kind of jubilee thinking preceeded 1300
by at least 50 years (i think it was probably felt in 1200 in rome).

>What does
>this mean and what is its signficance? I thought for a moment it meant that
>Easter and the feast of the Annunciation [25 March] fell on the same day in
>1250, which conjunction would presage the end of the world. But this does
>not seem to be the case in this passage.

no good friday and annunciation.  but the rest of your reconstruction is
exactly right.

>Also, I have lost from my favorites the wonderful calendar programs
>developed by members of the group. If the URLs could be sent, I'd be very
>appreciative.
>
>Thomas Sullivan, OSB

Richard Landes
Center for Millennial Studies at Boston University	Department of History
704 Commonwealth Ave. Suite 205			226 Bay State Road
Boston MA 02215					Boston MA 02215
617-358-0226 of   	358-0225 fax			617-353-2558 of	    353-2556 fax
http://www.mille.org					[log in to unmask]