Dear Sylwia,

Welcome to the list!  (Have you passed the poetry-composition test yet?)

On the Hospitallers--who, as you know, are often called the "Knights of
Malta"--you might begin with Boleslaw B Szczesniak.
The Knights Hospitallers in Poland and Lithuania. (The Hague: Mouton, 1969).

There is a Polish volume I've come across and noted down in case anyone
ever translates it (I cannot, alas, read Polish):  Pawel Czerwinski, "Zakon
Maltanski i stosunki jego z Polska na przestrzeni dziejow: szkie
historyczny". ( Polski Osrodek Naukowy, 1964).

The bibliography is quite extensive and includes many local studies, or
studies bounded in time.  Broader works include:

E. D. S. Bradford, "The Shield and the Sword: The Knights of St. John,
Jerusalem, Rhodes, and Malta.  (New York, Dutton, 1973).

H. J. A. Sire.  The Knights of Malta.  (New Haven : Yale University Press,
1996).

J. S. C. Riley-Smith.  "Hospitallers : The History of the Order of St.
John.  (London: Hambledon Press, 1999)

There's a decent Catholic Encyclopedia article on the Hospitallers at
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07477a.htm, though on "the present state of
the order" it's obviously dated.  We actually have a chapter of the Knights
here in little Richmond, Indiana.  They have what friends tell me is a very
nice meeting and drinking hall and give lots of money to children's
hospitals and the missions.

A fellow named Norman Redington, about whom I know nothing, has compiled a
Website with some interesting bibliography and links:
http://web.mit.edu/redingtn/www/ecole/ksj.html

Patrick J. Nugent
Earlham College
Richmond, Indiana 47374 USA