	The northern Italian usage was parallel to that of Ms. Newbigin's
Florence, with the numbering of hours beginning at sundown (not, as in Dr.
Colasacco's example, at dawn).  So yes, the actual occurrence of "hour 1"
would change with the seasons.
	This was true, incidentally, even in the later 15th century, when
most cities had municipal clocks and the hours were rung throughout the
city -- even though such clocks would have allowed for a standard
and constant reckoning of the switch from hour 24 to hour 1 irrespective
of the actual time of sundown.  So some city employee must have had to
readjust the clock constantly to allow for changes in sundown.
	Or so the surviving family memoirs suggest.  The memoirs also
suggest that while people habitually reckoned time by the clock, they
weren't altogether comfortable doing so, and they weren't absolutely
convinced when one day changed to the next -- so, for example, families'
notices of the births of babies often specify the week day, the
calendar date, the hour, the saint's day, and the day of the lunar cycle:
rather more information than one would need if one were completely
confident in the clock-time system.

	James Grubb
	History, UMBC