In message <[log in to unmask]>, Martin Dawes
<[log in to unmask]> writes

>we should all draw breath and take stock - there is no point with our time
>at such a premium for us all to duplicate - rather to selectively replicate.
>There are now a number of sites offering EBM/EBP principles and practice.
>The time has come for us to evaluate what we are doing.
>
>Which sites work?
>How do they work?
>What evidence have we that they work?

And how do workshops work?
What is the longterm effect of workshops:
a) on individuals who have attended?
b) on their colleagues and organisations?

>I suggest that there is now a body of people that have sufficient interest
>and expereience in teaching ebm for us to meet and discuss what we are
>doing.
>
>I want to know what is going on around the world - to plagiarise the best
>bits and scrap the bad bits so as to provide better education for our
>students and graduates. Now this can be achieved by surfing but i only get a
>2 dimensional view. Maybe (heaven forbid) we need a conference of teachers
>and developers of ebm to come together (like cochrane colloquium) and share.

I agree - we should meet, share, plan and execute research!
Personally I think a qualitative/social science approach is necessary to
understand the processes of changing practice, acculturation etc

Toby

--
Toby Lipman
General practitioner, Newcastle upon Tyne

Tel 0191-2811060 (home), 0191-2437000 (surgery)