Hi Alex,
	I accept that the social model was intended as a means of
highlighting the problems of the built environment for many disabled people.
I think that the issue here is the extent to which difference is acccepted
at all - I agree absolutely that there is no bipolar definition of
ability/disability/fat/thin or whatever. I read an exchange on this list
some time ago in which Tom Shakespeare was arguing along the lines of  the
social model doesn't allow the concept of a continuum, but rather forces a
false distinction between disability and impairment. The question for me is,
if you can be disabled by built environments, then the environments
themselves are a concrete example of disabling attitudes. Therefore, the
social model can and should be applied across the board. I take your point
about fat people being able to diet (although obesity is often a sign of a
psychological problem, and losing weight is anything but easy), but I think
there's a problem with that idea too; it follows the medical model (i.e.
it's your fault that you're fat, or your fault that you're disabled because
you haven't tried hard enough to overcome your problems, which is, I think,
the point that Charlotte Cooper was making, and  is the attitude that I'm
arguing is continued throughout western culture (although I could be accused
here of making generalisations) - if you don't conform the the perceived
"norm" (which is not at all "normal"), the there are ways for you to
"improve" yourself through diet, exercise and cosmetic surgery. I guess that
my focus on the body leaves a gap where learning disability is concerned; I
don't know how to bridge it!
	Regards,
	Lynne