Hi Jimmy,
	Thanks for your response, which I am thinking about...My initial
thoughts are that I can see your point absolutely, although I think that the
problem with the social model lies exactly in the area under discussion.
What about, for instance, a facial disfigurement which is neither an
impairment to physical function (i.e. movement, eating or whatever), nor
within the "normal" range of facial characteristics (maybe the result of an
accident)? Can a distinction be drawn between:an impairment which impairs
only superficially, which nontheless is disabling through attitudes, or
through an individual's body image; a physically disabling impairment which
is where Jimmy and I disagree (and which implies that it is the impairment
which disables rather than society); and a "stigmatised body image", which
implies that the person who is stigmatised has a body image congruent with
the view of society towards that body.
	I don't have any answers here.
	Lynne