Mike

DEFINITELY high flow.  You were in the right. Remember that
patients frequently die from hypoxia, but not from CO2
retention. In your case myocardium needs oxygen and COPD
patients frequently have co-existing myocardial disease. It
is easily possible to keep patients alive on high flow O2
but with a poor repiratory effort (and high CO2)-much more
difficult the other way round. On ICU, we frequently
ventilate COPD and asthma patients with a very low
frequency and tidal volume to avoid air trapping but with a
high FiO2- CO2 levels often become extremely high but the
patients remain oxygenated and survives. I frequently get
referrals from the wards and A&E to assess COPD patients to
see if they are suitable for ICU.  About 50% get better
there and then because I turn up the oxygen to cure their
hypoxia and hence respiratory muscle hypoxia etc, induced
by 24%FiO2! In virtually all cases, there has been no
demonstration that the patient has a hypoxic drive. It is
true that a SMALL minority of COPD patients have a hypoxic
drive, but in my view it is safer to oxygenate them
properly first and keep an eye on their clinical condition
and adjust according to gases etc + there is always
non-invasive ventilation to help them. This has been
commented on fairly recently in the letters page of the BMJ
by a number of intensive care docs who are fed up at being
referred hypoxic patients from people who ought to know
better. Ask any intensivist if you don't believe me!

Cheers

Francis Andrews FFAEM
Lecturer in intensve care medicine/hon. Spr in ICU & A&E
University of Liverpool/Whiston hospital