In article <[log in to unmask]>, Jon Bury
<[log in to unmask]> writes

>>READ are merging with the American equivalent Snowmed.
>>Not sure what it will be called.
>
>"The new work, named SNOMED Clinical Terms (abbreviated SNOMED CT), will
>combine the strengths of the two existing terminologies: the robust strength
>of SNOMED RT in specialty medicine, including pathology, and the richness of
>Clinical Terms Version 3 (also known as Read Codes V3) in primary care.
>SNOMED RT and Clinical Terms Version 3 will continue to exist separately
>until SNOMED CT is well established. The CAP and the NHS will work closely
>with physicians, system suppliers, government agencies, and end-users to
>make a smooth transition from their current vocabularies to the new work,
>which is scheduled for availability by the end of 2001." -
>(http://www.snomed.org/prod/psn90.html)

....and I am told they will be *free* to the NHS

Cheers
--
Jel Coward

The UK Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician  and Command Physician course
site has been updated - take a look for course dates in 2000!!

http://www.wildmedic.org
http://www.wemsi.org

'There's no such thing as bad weather - just bad  clothing"
                                                Anon Norwegian