Liz,

We use ArcView here in Kent and although I personally like it as it's very
flexible and powerful and pretty straightforward we have had problems
integrating it with Exegesis. Running Exegesis off a network and ArcView off
our hard-drives the link between Exeg. and ArcView seems to work only very
slowly. Exegesis themselves claim that this is because of the way ArcView
handles its data and that the speed problem is unlikely to be resolved by
future Exegesis upgrades. I have at present adopted a system where we run
Exeg. and ArcView side by side rather than actively linked in the way
intended. This works at least as fast as the old ArcInfo system we also use
and for most purposes is perfectly adequate but it does mean we can't take
advantage of one of Exegesis' main strengths - the ability to maintain a
'live' link to the GIS. We've also been assured by our GIS people that
ArcView has no function which allows you to go to a particular grid ref on
the screen - quite unbelieveably for a GIS. You should also be aware that as
Exegesis was designed with MapInfo in mind the level of support for ArcView
users perhaps isn't what it could be.

If anyone has any solutions to the above problems I would be very grateful
to hear them!

Paul Cuming
SMR Officer
Kent County Council