I don't have much to add to what Bob Jones said about the Former
County of Avon and the reasons for its demise, except to add that there
was also a considerable fear that change might see the rise of a Greater
Bristol Council. I think a split of Avon into two units roughly divided by the
Avon could have been better. I worked for the county for 3 years before
transferring to South Gloucestershire and felt during that time that I was
too far removed from what was going in the front line, saying that I
would have liked to have seen the SMR being kept as a whole for the
former Avon. I am sure that the four unitaries have gained from the
experience (Vince will not agree) I doubt very much If Bath (and NES)
would have had the level of archaeological provision they do now,
certainly South Gloucestershire would not have had a (almost) dedicated
Cultural Resource Manager and and an Algao rep who is half a
conservation officer.
the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com