In message <[log in to unmask]>, Michael
Bjarkoy <[log in to unmask]> writes
>My protocol in the ambulance service states that I should give an FiO2 of
>0.98 to acute COPD.

I tend to SHOs in A&E the same thing. They invariably come from
housejobs thinking that oxygen is the most potent poison known to man
and never give anyone more than 24%.

I tell them that hypoxia kills in minutes, CO2 retention takes longer,
so give high FiO2 to anyone sick, but be prepared to do arterial gases
EARLY in anyone going off and reduce O2 later if needed.

ps: The pulse oximeter is a dangerous piece of kit in anyone breathing
hi flow O2: it gives you a false sense of security about their sats, but
tells you nothing about their CO2 levels. Don't get me started on that
one!

Dr G Ray
Staff Grade
A&E