David Smilde wrote:

> I've found there is great variation in ability between transcribers. The best one I work with transcribes in 2x real time, i.e. 3 hours for a 90 min. tape. The worst I ever had was a student who took 2 months (20hrs a week) to transcribe a 90 minute tape! More common is about 8 hours for a 90 minute tape. So make sure you pay by work done rather than by the hour. Depending on a lot of circumstances, you can count on $50 to $100 or upwards per 90 minute tape. So it is something you want to include in a budget.

I stalwartly determined I would do my own transcriptions.  After doing
600 pages of transcription, I decided I would pay *anything* to have
someone else do it.  I found a first-class, professional
transcriptionist who did each interview in a few days, and returned it
to me nicely formatted.  But I found I had to listen to the interview
with the tape running to find errors.  Most of the errors were jargon
terms the transcriptionist did not know.  A few were judgement calls
abour something said sotto voce.

Morals:

- Do budget for some transcription.  Despite all the good reasons to do
it yourself (being with the text, catchin' them nuances, saving money)
you will probably give in in the end.

- Budget some time to check the transcriptions as well.

Birrell Walsh
MicroTimes