From: Karen Yeomans <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Swimmer's ankle
Date: Monday, 14 February 2000 05:27

Dear All,

I am currently perplexed by recurrent Achilles pain in the right ankle of a
GB under-water hockey player.  She is 22 years old and about to graduate
from a BEd PE degree. The pain only occurs when she is swimming with fins.
She has not recently changed them.  I can reproduce her pain with both
active and passive end-range plantar flexion.  No tenderness or palpable
thickening evident.  Gait pattern NAD.  She does have skin redness
posterior heels bilaterally from the fins rubbing.  Accessory movements
full range and pain free.  I've advised her to speak to her coach regarding
technique etc.  A colleague has suggested a change to shorter fins for
training to reduce the torque at the ankle.

Any suggestions for treatment would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks

Karen Yeomans
Peterborough