 Dear owen,
excellent response.  ONe of the most interesting and possibly
helpful I've read on here in a long time.
Please forward to me details re: craigs test, and femoral
anteversion / retroversion in sitting and lying as you suggest.
Also please explain your looking at IR/ER in the thomas test.
Thirdly, if it was a lesser troch stress #, what biomechanically
and anatomically would have caused this.
Lastly, please let me know by personal e-mail what diagnosis
you are thinking if it's not too much trouble.
Thanks.
Scott Epsley
Physiotherapist.
Brisbane, Australia.

--

On Fri, 11 Feb 2000 19:49:18   Owen Moore wrote:
>Hi Paul,
>Interesting and problematic patient...sounds like the last 13 clients I have
>been collating some data on.
>I am in agreement with Charlie that you may need to consider stress
>fracture...in particular of the lesser trochanter.
>Here are some parallels with my clients:
>-    Long distance running such as triathletes, road runners, 1 gymnast and
>3 martial atrists
>-    Pain in the groin is greater than hamstring but the ischial tuberosity
>thing is also very familiar
>-    Pain increased with stretching hip flexors (hence the problem swimming
>me thinks)
>-    These folks, possibly yours also,  have a running style that "pulls"
>the centre of gravity forward rather     than leaning forward and "chase"
>it. Check for poor heel raise performance.
>-    The pain in the antero-lateral groin is significant I
>think....antero-medial is something else.
>
>Now...can you tell me if your client ALSO possesses the following movement
>impairments:
>    - client stands in hip extension with poor gluteal tone & dominant
>hamstrings (hyperext. knees)
>    - short rectus abdominis (sternum depressed + poss. limited deep breath
>when arms above head in supine)
>    - long iliopsoas - unable to perform inner range hip flexion in sitting
>(feet off floor) and Thomas Test demonstrates effortless extension WITH
>abduction +/- external rotation. Check for tibial lateral rotation while you
>are there!
>    - SLR in supine - active - greater trochanter moves anteriorly and
>medially
>    - SLR in supine - passive - affected leg seems to have NO resistance
>PLUS it reproduces the groin pain
>    - On all fours (Quadraped) - lumbar spine & hip in flexion
>    - You MUST rule out femoral anteversion & retroversion via sitting &
>prone hip rotation and the Craig's test. I can send you the protocol and
>references gleaned from my interest in this field.
>
>So...if you do all that and all bits are positive...let me know..I'll tell
>you the diagnosis rather than bias your testing just yet!!!
>From a "Newbie" to the mailbase...hope I don't mess up the reply thing
>
>Mr Owen Moore BPhysio(Hons)B'ham  Adv.Cert. in PT in OH MCSP SRP
>Nottingham

MailCity. Secure Email Anywhere, Anytime!
http://www.mailcity.com