Dear List members:
The Lysholm score DOES NOT evaluate knee stability or ligament
integrity of the knee. It DOES evaluate the severity of symptoms
that MAY be associated with knee instability, ligament injury or other lower
extremity injury/disease. Noyes et al. (1989) attempted to define
the constructs that were in clinical and biomechanical
usage. "Instability" he summarized as "A condition of a joint
characterized by an abnormal increased range of motion due to
injury (disease)...." However, Noyes et al. (1989) did not
operationalize the term. There have been several attempts to
quantify the concept of "instability" including our review
(Maitland and Kawchuck, 1997). Instability, as described by Noyes
et al (1989) really doesn't deal with all of the current
concepts such as the relationship between passive, active, and
functional instability as well as the symptoms that are reported
as instability. In a simplistic way, I ask myself:
Do you want to measure the properties of the ligament - ligament
function?
Do you want to measure the properties of the knee - knee
function?
Do you want to measure the impact on activities or performance -
lower extremity function?
Or
Do you want to measure the global impact of symptoms in some
manner - individual function?

Murray

Maitland ME, Kawchuck GN. Towards the
quantification of end-feel for the assessment of passive joint
motion. Physical Therapy Reviews 1997;2:217-226

Noyes FR et al., J Bone Joint Surg [AM] 1989;71:465-472 The
definitions of terms for motion and position of the knee and
injuries of the ligaments.

> Dear Anuradha
> Lysholm score is one of the best clinical methods of evaluation of
> the knee stability (ligaments integrity). To know more about this
> method you can look at this article:  "Rating system in the
> evaluation of knee ligament injuries. Tegner Yelverton and Jack
> Lysholm. 1985 198 : 43-49".
>
> I hope this helps
> Abbas
>

> Date sent:      	Fri, 11 Feb 2000 12:06:21 +0300
> Subject:        	Lysholm score
> From:           	"Anuradha" <[log in to unmask]>
> To:             	<[log in to unmask]>, "PHYSIO" <[log in to unmask]>
> Send reply to:  	[log in to unmask]
>
> > .The following is an extract from abstract of --MOTOR PERFORMANCE IN DYNAMIC TESTS IN KNEE REHABILITATION.... Scan J Med Sci Sports 1999 feb
> >
> > During the strength measurements a superimposed twitch technique was used for the detection of neuromuscular inhibition. The results demonstrate a significantly reduced Lysholm-Score and a distinct strength deficit, but no neuromuscular inhibition and n> o differences in knee stability in the
> operated leg.
> > Could some one tell me about the Lysholm score??
> > Many thanks
> > Anuradha
> >

> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
> Abbas Rahimi
> Centre for Sports Medicine
> Department of Orthopaedic and Accident Surgery
> West Block, C Floor, Q.M.C Centre
> Nottingham NG7 2UH
> TEL: 0115-9249924 EXT 44170
> Fax: 0115-9423656
> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Murray Maitland PhD PT
Associate Professor and Physical Therapist
Faculty of Kinesiology
Sport Medicine Centre
University of Calgary

2500 University Drive NW