On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Jones, Chris wrote:
> I don't know how many members of the list saw the attached article in the
> Economist this week.(the table is attached separately as a gif file)
>
> The article might be of relevance to readers of the list because of the
> coincidence of the announcement of 2 year degrees with the announcement of the
> e-University initiative.
>
> Will networked learning offer a route to better skills amongst future
> graduates? Is that what the government hopes?

1. The article is about 2 year qualifications, and from what I have read
these will be delivered by further education type face to face routes.
Given the chequered history of sub-degree courses in England over many
attempts, there is little indication of why this route will fare any
better than its predecessors, given the pull of A levels. It is a fact
that less academic A levels may already be ignored or downvalued.

2. In relation to the e-university, reading the HEFCE documents this seems
to be mostly about UK consortia creating collaborative products (perhaps
with private partners) to sell UK HE by distance methods into other
countries. There could be indirect implications for UK lifelong learning,
but I have read into it an attempt to galvanise univerisities who are weak
in distance learning but strong in brand image to get into this
marketplace.

Professor Clive Holtham
[log in to unmask]              +44-171-477-8622 fax: +44-171-477-8880
City University Business School, Frobisher Crescent, Barbican Centre,
LONDON EC2Y 8HB                http://www.city.ac.uk/choltham