Dearly Beloved:

The Continuing Education Department of York University have just
written to me asking if I wish to offer a course next year.  As I have
mentioned from time to time on this list, I am this year teaching a
course on "The Latin Bible".  In Continuing Education, it is not useful
to offer the same course every year.  The situation is rather different
from regular university work where one has a new class of students
passing through every year.  With Continuing Education, one tends to
get a loyal following who come year after year, provided that one has
something different to offer.  If they've done the course already, they
don't come;  and if they don't come, the course doesn't run.

So I thought, by way of something different, I might offer a course
called "Faith of the Fathers".  The Continuing Education term being ten
weeks long, I would offer ten lectures on ten of the Fathers most
formative for western Catholic civilisation.  I limit it to "western"
and "Catholic".  I am perfectly well aware of the importance of the
eastern fathers, and may offer a course on them the following year;
and while I gladly acknowledge the importance of Jewish and Islamic
thinkers, I don't know much about them and would hope that limiting the
course to Christian figures would give it some shape and coherence.

So here are my projected "Big Ten", in chronological order.  Would they
be yours?  Who should be out and who should be in?  As always, I value
your kindly and scholarly opinions.

1.  St Ambrose, gaining his place as one of the "Four Doctors", for his
contribution to Latin hymnody, for his influence on St Augustine.

2.  St Augustine, for many and obvious reasons.

3.  St Jerome, for the Vulgate.

4.  St Leo the Great, a favourite of mine, for his Tome, his sermons,
his  beneficent influence on Attila the Hun, perhaps for his collects.

5.  St Severinus - i.e. Boethius.  Not often thought of as a "Father",
but vital for his place in the intellectual history of the west.

6.  St Benedict, for his Rule.

7.  St Gregory the Great, last of the "Four Doctors", for his Pastoral
Rule, his Moralia in Job, his conversion of England.

8.  St Bede (the Venemous Bead, author of The Rosary).

9.  St Anselm - jumping ahead a few centuries;  for his Proslogion and
Cur Deus Homo.

10.  St Bernard of Clairvaux, regarded by Migne as the last of the
western Fathers.  After the twelfth century we move out of the world of
the "Fathers" into the world of the scholastic doctors, a rather
different animal.

Would such a course attract you?  Is it likely to attract anybody?

The Supple Doctor.