Just a quick comment on this third person plural
thing.
I grew up in Cumbria where it was common usage to
address a group as "yous", for example when asking the
health of more than one person, one could ask "how are
yous?".

Has anyone else ever come across this of is it
restricted to us (English) northerners.

Jim
--- Bill East <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > Likewise, in California, one young woman in a
> group of same will
> > address
> > the others as "you guys".
>
> The usage spreads far beyond California.  When
> seated in a restaurant
> in New Hampshire with my wife and mother-in-law, I
> have been asked,
> "Are you guys ready to order?"
>
> I have sometimes wondered how Americans understand
> Ko-Ko's reference in
> 'The Mikado' to 'The Lady from the promises, who
> dresses like a guy'.
> For Gilbert, as an Englishman, a 'guy' is an effigy
> of Guy Fawkes of
> gunpowder plot fame, burnt every year on 5th
> November in an outpouring
> of anti-papal frenzy;  hence, someone dressed like a
> stuffed dummy in
> outrageous, tasteless or over-the-top clothes.
> Would it be supposed in
> Americaland that Gilbert was referring to a
> transvestite?
>
> Elasticus.

> http://mail.yahoo.co.uk
> or your free @yahoo.ie address at
> http://mail.yahoo.ie

=====
All that is gold does not glitter,      : Jim Connolly
not all those who wander are lost;      : 2 Craighall Ave
The old that is strong does not wither, : Levenshulme
Deep roots are not reached by frost.    : Manc. M19 2BR