Denis Hüe wrote:

>Thanks to Christopher Crockett and his delighting french...

my delighting french is Standard Southern Indiana French, which good enough
coiné for this list, being thoroughly colloquial.

>(as funny as my english, I presume).

nonsense.

you've not lost your amateur standing.

>Anyhow, I think the borde portable could be found in many regions.

seems like a good idea would spread all over the berger network.

>a 16th century illumination from the region of Rouen shows it
(http://www.uhb.fr/alc/medieval/berger.jpg)

you need a space at the end of your url to make it "hot," otherwise the ")"
becomes part of it: (http://www.uhb.fr/alc/medieval/berger.jpg )

quite an interesting text and illustration, which i'd appreciate some
explication with.

as best i can make out (not much, obviously), the text runs:

Chant royal ou diuin pouoir
En maniere de bergerie
Parle auec l['?]ame [laine?] de marie
Comme pourres appercenoir
Ensuyuant de moyse les dicts
Au pseaulme quatre vingts dix

Below, an angel leads Mary by the hand, showing her a compound scene with two
groups of soldiers (?) in the background, one of which apparently enjoys the
warmth of the "soleil de diuine iustice"; and, in the foregound, a flock of
feeding sheep with part of some kind of wheeled vehicle --perhaps one of our
borde mobiles, but, if so, a pretty fancy one, complete with a nice pitched
roof, (gilded??) polygonal apse and blind tracery.

all of which means nothing to me.

>and the Seine region is not as plain as the Beauce.

evidently, if the shepherds of that region could afford to tour the
countryside in fancy Winnebegoes [a brand of giant, luxurious "motor homes"
http://www.winnebagoind.com/ ] like the one depicted in your ms.

>I think it must have been a general fashion.

beats living under the stars, i would imagine.

>I've an another borde in a "livre d'heures" from rouen, 16th c.

is it as luxurious as the other one?

in any event, it is the mystical implications of these vehicles --so clearly
demonstrated in the ms illumination-- which makes this a fitting subject for
this list.

finally, for what it's worth, "cabanne" or some variant thereof is used
in modern colloquial Chartrain to denote a modest house built of wood (as
opposed to one of stone, brick or tile).

best from here,

christopher