We've had an interesting discussion on Werewolves, but I think I alone
have used the correct spelling, others perhaps lacking an extra e on
their keyboards.  I'm surprised that Mr Crockett (Doctor Pedanticus)
hasn't picked you up on this.  Are you mellowing, Crockers?

Actually I see that the dictionary allows the spelling without the
second e, so I retract.

The word is formed from OE wer, a man + wulf, a wolf.  Like Latin and
Greek, OE has two words for man, wer (cognate with Latin vir) which
means a male person, a man as opposed to a woman, and mann, a human
being of either sex, cognate with Latin homo (not obviously cognate,
but if you consider the accusative ho-min-em or the adjective
hu-man-us, you see the resemblance).

It has sometimes occurred to me during the controversies about
inclusive language that some of the difficulties might have been
circumvented if we had resurrected the word 'wer' when wishing to
refer to males, and kept 'man' in its former unisex sense - a sense
which it retains, actually, in the North East;  I have often heard
Sunderland women referring to each other as 'man' which sounds a little
odd to a southern ear.

Doctor Elasticus.